Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wednesday October 21, 2009 2:04

It was just brought to my attention that I did not update the blog from last Monday, when John had a treatment. Sorry, it is hard to focus sometimes.
We were pleased to hear his blood counts were good, so he could get the treatment, which he did. He had a good day Tuesday, but today he is feeling the effects of the chemo. I find the symptoms he starts showing and are normal are: Very tired, little appetite, not interested in much of anything to cheer him up and doesn't drink a lot of liquids.
When he doesn't drink enough, he gets dehydrated and then starts to show signs of being "spacey". When you ask him a question, it is usually answered with, "I don't know". Not meaning he really doesn't know, but he just doesn't want to think about the question. He seems to still get cold and uses wools throws during the day and three blankets at night. The house is pretty warm, just ask a few people that stop by.
They have scheduled a re-hydrating IV tomorrow at noon, as the are finding he starts to get weaker and shaky and unstable mid-week and the fluids bring him out of it pretty quickly.
I get asked a lot, "what can we do to help?" and I honestly don't know how to answer that question. To do for John, he just needs time to get these treatments behind him and anxious, as I and you reading this, what the final analysis is going to be. I am positive he is keeping a lot to himself, as he doesn't want to over stress me and likewise, I am keeping a lot to myself, so he doesn't ever have to think or wonder if he is too much for me to deal with.... which would never be true.
Our lawn is being taken care of, when I think I should be able to do it myself, but so thankful I haven't had to.
The real needs for us are being met by all of you, in some way or another. I see, feel and hear it each and every day. So, just keep doing what you are doing and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Josh Warner has put up the handrail in the bathroom, which has already been a help and the walker, which John calls, "my caddie", is a lifesaver.
Lori is a constant in our lives and are so blessed to have her living so close to us.
I'm not going to start naming people and deeds, because I don't think I need to.
We are thankful for a wonderful Bishop, Relief Society and Stake Presidency, who encourage prayers and fasting in our behalf. We are so fortunate to live in this neighborhood and have the ward family we do.
It is comforting also, to know our Paradise, CA friends are so attentive and wish they could be here to support and help us. We think of them almost every day.
I feel, as many who are the receivers of service, that I should be doing something for someone else, so don't leave me off your list for compassionate service; I need the blessings from that too.
I don't think I need to report back for awhile, unless something of interest comes up. John has a week off treatment, then it starts up again on November 2.
I'm glad the blog is assisting us in reaching all of you in a way that couldn't be done as well.

2 comments:

  1. Don't even think about what you could do for most of us. I think it's safe to say that you have already done many kind acts of service for lots of us, many times over! We're just trying to pay back a little now. :-)

    We wish we could be close enough to actually do something around your home or make you some food. (Of course there is no one who cooks better than you!!!)

    Love ya' and continuing to pray for all of you,
    Gracie and Spock

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm touched, thank you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete