Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday, October 26, Midnight

Funny how two days can make such a difference in one's life. Yesterday, I was just a few minutes from leaving for church, when I made a wrong move and something "popped" in my hip and I went right to the ground. I was concerned that I had broken something, but couldn't figure out what or why. I gradually got up and walking was not even an option for a few minutes. I used John's cane to hobble to tell John I had something going on and I was worried about helping him get ready, because he was continuing to feel worse and in dire need of that blood transfusion. He was feeling so faint and weak, I was about to call Lori over to get us through the morning.
When Lori came over, she saw me with the cane and dad with the walker and she simply said, "Now are you two a cute pair" or something of the sort. She actually called my injury correctly. I pulled a muscle. Funny, it didn't hurt when I or moved my leg or was just sitting, but when I stood and put pressure on my leg, it was very hard to walk. Bruce Tall (our retired doctor friend) confirmed that it was a muscle. I have to let those who don't have a clue who Bruce Tall is, know he is always here with great medical knowledge and advise for us people from Paradise, California, that migrated to Utah.
Well, to get on with my story: This morning was a riot.... I can laugh now, but it was spooky at the time. For one, we over slept and had to get to the hospital for the transfusion. Well, John was getting ready in the bedroom as I got out of bed and in a lot of discomfort, John was busy throwing up. As I worked my way in to help him, he was bleeding from his nose as he was throwing up. Plus, he was too weak to move him and I couldn't move well enough to help him get dressed. So, if your could have been a fly on the wall, you would have laughed at this scene.
We got through it, but in order to make it on time, no breakfast, no meds and no insulin for john. Then, the real concern came when we both tried to get to the car. John's caddy was hard to maneuver down the front steps, he was still feeling sick and I couldn't move easily and John was unstable and had to keep sitting down. I was even afraid to leave him long enough to pull the car out of the garage. About this time, I was looking the neighborhood up and down to see if any of the guys were out to assist us, but couldn't leave him long enough to actually go get some help.
But, we finally got ourselves to the car and took a few deep breaths and went on our way.
Now, if you don't feel sorry for us by now, I don't know what more we could have gone through or that I could tell you, to bring it on.
Now, the important part of the message. John did fantastic on the transfusion. The nurse said if anything goes wrong (I'm glad I didn't know what she meant by that), it usually happened within the first 20 minutes. She also said something she probably shouldn't have told us, which is; "It's a good thing he is getting this today, he should have had this a long time ago, he really needed it." That comment disturbed me, but no need to make a stink about it to the doctor, she might get in trouble for making the comment at all. They said he should feel so much better and a lot of his bad side affects should subside.
This was a 5 1/2 hour event and by the time we got home, we were both ready for a rest.
I know John feels better, because he isn't as shaky and could walked more stable, but he was tired and went to bed early.
So, we'll see how he is when he gets up. We can deal with these trivial distractions... not to worry.
Nighty-night.

1 comment:

  1. To the "hop-a-long twins,

    We enjoyed your story (sorry, but you had us laughing as we imagined your predicaments)and look forward to both of you feeling much better.

    Love,
    Gracie and Spock

    PS Your next book should be a comedy about coping with illness.

    ReplyDelete