Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday September 28. 2009 10:42 PM

OK, here's what went down today:

We went for John's second chemo treatment, since the doses were changed. When they took the blood test, the doctor determined he was not a candidate for treatment today, because his blood platelets were too low. The lowest count that could be and still have the treatment is 149 and his count was 50. So, they told us we have to wait two weeks and then come in for another blood test to see if he could proceed with a treatment that day. So, we were sent home today. We were disappointed and not really sure if this will do any harm or not.

Last week wasn't a perfect week. He is still out of sorts at times, like running the walker into the wall and just standing there, not saying what he is up to, early in the morning. And, he gets light-headed often and better sit down, before he falls down. His appetite has been up and down and he has been able to see visitors and take phone calls.

As a lot of you know, we announced that when we got the CT Scan results back, if they were good, we would put a big yellow sunflower on the front door. We put it up and it is still up. On some of his not the best days, I've asked it he wanted me to take the sunflower down and he says "no". So, it is still up and we'll leave things the way they are for now.

Thank you for checking in and taking his mind off things and bringing him his forbidden treats of ice cream and Potato Spud candy bars. He does perk up with the sweets.

For the many of you who are checking on me, I am getting plenty of attention and getting the rest I need, even with the interruptions, I know I am doing fine. But I do love the little unexpected things that are showing up to make my evenings a bit easier.

Most know that my book came out of the gate, with the notices from Costco, Walmart, Sam's Club and events throughout the valley, the exact time we received the news of John's cancer. So, the commitments for book signings and appearances must be completed and some times it is hard to balance how John is feeling with my travels. For your information, out of 3,000 books, my distributor told me we have 990 left.

I do have a much better day, when I leave home knowing he is feeling pretty good or someone is just making a quick stop to see for themselves.

I'll just drop a note on the blog, here and there, until October 12, when he has his next doctor appointment, and let you know if there is anything you should know or that I should report to you.

We still have our same attitude and our spirits are high and always thankful for continued support, both here in Utah and in California. Hey, when I start to count the people, it goes into many other states, so I guess I can't just claim Utah and California. Thanks

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I think Grandpa is the only person I know that likes those Spud candy bars! :)

    I am still planning on visiting the weekend of the 9th. I am booking my ticket tomorrow. Waiting to check and see if Southwest has a Tuesday deal tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very newsy update!

    How do you get his blood count up? Lots of beef? :-) Oh I know...liver and onions! YUM...for me anyway.

    Glad to hear about your book, Nancy.

    As always, you two are in our prayers and on the Temple roll.

    Love,
    Gracie and Spock

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS The previous comment from Fred, was actually written by me, Gracie. I didn't know that his account was open until after I hit "post comment". I felt I needed to make this correction because liver and onions is definitely NOT a yum for Spock! :-)

    Love,

    ReplyDelete