Tuesday, September 8, 2009

September 9, 2009 5:10 AM

It seems that night time is nightmare time. Sleep comes and goes with strange things happening. John gets this tremor thing going and I wake up to what reminds me of a California earthquake. The first thing I think of is his blood sugar is low and he seems to be in a coma like state. I can talk to him, but his speech is slurred and he is slow to respond.

The questions that go through my mind is, do I call 911, should I get him up. Yesterday he took a fall getting out of bed and I couldn't help him up, because when I tried to hold him, it hurt his insides. So, in his own attempt to get up, he fell a second time. Of course, one would always worry about the famous broken hip scenario, so in reality, I don't know how to help him up.

More questions come do mind. I have two nurse on my street, just one and two doors down, but should I bother them? It is like crying wolf, as they have been over several times and things work out OK. It is truly a dilemma and a frightening thing to deal with. These could be life threatening issues and I just don't know where to turn. We have been to the ER so many times, they practically know us by name, yet on the other hand, they keep him there for hours or admit him, so I guess we are doing the right things, some of the time.

I was given a phone number the last time we were in the ER, from Social Services, who told us "the next time we have a medical problem, which we are going to have, we can call them and leave a voice message and they will get right back to us." I left them a message around 4:00 AM, but I know they don't start answering until 8:00 AM.

So, I am unable to sleep, sick with worry and want someone to tell me what I should do. For now, I will try to get him up, out of bed and see how he responds. Of course, the fear of him falling is prevalent, and I almost hate to bother him as he needs the rest.

I'll give you my decision and update later today. I maybe shouldn't have even given you this one, but I did anyway.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Miss Nancy,

    Oh, we are so sorry that you two have to be going through all these kinds of things! It is VERY confusing and scary and yes, we feel very inadequate. I understand somewhat of what you're going through because my sister and I stayed with our other sister during her cancer ordeal and sometimes we just had no idea what to do! She would get up during the night and do and say odd things, she fell a few times too, she over-medicated herself because she was so afraid of the pain...all the kinds of things that you're telling us. We LOVED it when a visiting nurse or a hospice person would check on her because we felt like we had someone who was competent and knew what to. They also assured us that we were doing good or they could teach us how to take care of some things.

    I'll bet your nurse neighbors would be glad to help you learn ways of helping John up and answer some of your other questions.

    You have a tremendous responsibility right now and fatigue certainly influences your emotions.

    We know that you are doing a good job in an area of "un-knowns" and more importantly, you are giving John great love which is probably the MOST important thing you can do for him right now.

    Remember 2 Timothy 1:7 - "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

    You're in our prayers LOTS!

    Kisses and Hugs,
    Gracie and Spock

    ReplyDelete