Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thursday December 10, 2009 2:15

I’m sorry this has to be so impersonal, but the word would get out too soon and perhaps with not the correct information, so I want to make sure you get this first hand.

I took John for his doctor appointment today and he, again, has failed the blood test badly. We have been told that any window of treatment has been lost and there are no more options to treat him for advanced, aggressive cancer, which has gone into the bones and has spread rapidly.

The doctor has released him t0 Hospice care and predicts “a swift decline, maybe 2 to 4 weeks.” Of course, he has no exact time, nor do we, but John has already told Lori and I that he didn’t think he could make it to Christmas, but wanted to make it for John and his family, who are coming at Christmas time. When I mentioned this comment to the doctor, he simply said, “He probably knows he does not have long, it is very common for the patient to know.”

John is well prepared and at peace with this, as am I. We have had our private talks and nothing is left unsaid. He has even talked to Lori and I about the final arrangements, so he is very aware of what is going on.

I hope you will respect what we are going through right now and I can’t deal with phone calls right now. I have been preparing myself for this for the last several weeks, when I got wind from the doctors just where we were heading. But, it is still very difficult to deal with, so please email, John’s blog or use Facebook to contact us.

Love to all

5 comments:

  1. Dad, I was not suprised by the news, just terribly sad. I'm thankful for the brief time we shared. I love you and I pray that your journey to God's kingdom is peaceful and without anymore pain. You'll always have a special place in my heart. We'll be OK! Don't cause any trouble on the other side! Nancy Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you and will miss you but Heaven is in for a treat! :-)

    Your courage, your compassion for others and your sense of humor and positive outlook, despite extreme pain, have been and are a great example to so many. You have been and still are a great blessing in our lives!

    Much love and hugs from a distance,
    Gracie and Spock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, You have fought a brave fight which is not a surprise to any of us. Your journey in this life has been an example and blessing to us all. You have led me to where I am today by your quiet example and for that I will be eternally grateful. Go in peace and comfort to those who are eagerly awaiting your return. I know great eternal rewards are waiting for you. We will all be well... until we meet again.
    I love you
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. My love and prayers are on their way for both of you at this time. Please know I think of you often. Wish there was some way I could be there and help. With love, Flo

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAREWELL
    The sand of time are running low and soon mu children I must go. My heart with love for you is filled but soon its beating must be stilled. I leave no treasures of any kind, only my love I leave behind. Take it and share it between sister and brother. And always be kind to one another. Weep not beside the grave for me, dont bring me flowers I cannot see. Only ashes lie neath the cold sod, just pray that my soul has gone with God. Some of you perhaps may weep, when my eyes are closed in eternal sleep. But try to remember it won't be forever, for God can bring our spirits together. I pray that I go to a world far above to be with the others that I love. And to wait awhile on the heavenly plain until the day we shall mee again.

    I love you Dad. Nancy Ann

    ReplyDelete